Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Art of Writing, U-Turn

Driving down the road to visit the local Winery, I missed the turn into the parking lot.  I informed my passenger, not a big problem, I'll just make a youie.  Her response, you're pretty good at this.  Well she's right.  I have no problem making a U-turn.  Now segue this principle to writing.

A Heavenly Revolution, my latest novel and about forty percent completed.  Overall, I'm happy how the story line is progressing, but!  It just didn't feel right, something was missing.  U-Turn.  By going back to the beginning, I discovered the missing element, added a few hundred words, and voila.  Suddenly it all jelled.

In writing as in life, when your instinct tells you, something is amiss, U-Turn.  There will be no points taken away from you and just like in writing, it will make the story line better, because deep inside of you, you knew something was amiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment