Sunday, March 18, 2012

Continued Learning

I did learn an important item, you must save your blog before hitting 'Publish' otherwise what you typed, will be gone.  Oh the learning curve.

Now to what brings me joy, writing.
I started writing years ago, when computers, word processors and electric type writers were non existent and writing was done in long hand on paper.  After this, you would type your stories on a manual typewriter.  Mistakes in typing and writing were corrected with whiteout.  What a mess this was.  My fellow writers and I got very adept at cutting sentences and paragraphs and using scotch tape to piece pages together.  Those were the days.  Not Really!  Some of my pages would only be a paragraph, while others could be as long as 17 inches.  Then came the electric typewriter and corrective tape.  Whoa, what used to take ten hours could now be done in half the time and would look nice and neat. 
The next improvement were word processors.  I actually could save my work on floppy disks, 5'1/2 inches no less.  Then came computers.  Hallelujah.  Now it was getting interesting because I needed to learn DOS and I could serve on the Internet, providing I could figure out the commands to access the net. 

Word Perfect brought sanity to all the frustrated writers that could not deal with DOS.  Yeah.  Then Bill Gates unleashed Window 3 on the world, and peace reigned for writers who now had the challenge to learn computers. 

This brief excursion in history revealed that writing required me to learn computers.  I am very happy for this as in my career and school my computer skills were extremely beneficial.  So the next time, you insert pictures, graphs, headers, footers, move or delete words and run spell check and grammar think of all the writers that wrote in long hand on the back side of obsolete correspondence to save paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment