Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Odyssey Continues

I applied to Michaels' for a job and true to form, I needed to take an assessment test. I first encountered this strange phenomenon when I applied at Office Depot for an entry level job. I filled out the online application and after wards was informed I needed to take the assessment test.  Should I pass the test, the next step will be the interview.
 
In my professional life I was never required to take this type of test.  Curious about this procedure, I searched the Internet and learned that the test was devised to assist HR personnel in the hiring process.  The test would stream line the process and assure the hiring of the most qualified person for the position.  In English, most HR people do not do well in in this particular endeavor, after all HR is not there to protect the employee but to assure that company policy is adhered too.
Being properly prepared now, I went and took the Office Depot assessment test which consisted of one-hundred-twenty-five questions. Approximately twenty-five percent were about my selling experience and as my friends tell me, ‘I couldn’t sell water to a parched person.’
The balance of the enquiries consisted of questions being asked in different ways. The pattern emerging was rather obvious and here is one example: a) Are you an energetic person? b) Do you need a nap in the afternoon? If you answer yes to a, and you answer yes to b, you are contradicting yourself.  Target, Kohl’s, Walmart, JC Penny, Sears, Michaels’ have this type of repetitious question on their assessment test that is anywhere from sixty to a hundred-twenty-five questions long.
In my next blog I’m going to examine the results of the ‘Assessment Test.’

No comments:

Post a Comment