Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Art of Writing

I am asked if I can teach someone to write and my answer always is, "Yes, why not."  Writing, like anything else is a skill that is learned, just like carpentry, cooking or any other profession, manual or not.  What separates is that 'soupcon' of talent and that cannot be taught.

A writer friend of mine was a skilled technician.  Her syntax was perfect so were her similes, plot development, description, everything that makes a prose great, except it was so perfect the writing became sterile.

Your syntax maybe wrong at times, you may have an incomplete sentence or have a dangling participle, but your story is alive and grabs the reader.   So join me in what I consider a compelling obsession, writing.  A solitary and lonely endeavor unlike any other of the 'many artistic professions.'

No comments:

Post a Comment